10 DIY Face Masks for Kids
DIY face masks for kids with this list of free small mask patterns. There are even no-sew options.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
The unfortunate fact of the COVID-19 pandemic is that face masks are becoming required in more and more places and situations. Many people are making their own DIY face masks but most of the available patterns are for adults.
That's why we've searched through the existing mask designs and found 10 DIY Face Masks for Kids. This collection includes masks that are available in multiple sizes or specifically for children. The majority of these children's face masks are easy, fast, stylish, and (most importantly) comfortable.
With back to school around the corner and talk of in-person teaching, it's important that every child have a mask. Even if e-learning continues, when social distancing isn't possible a mask is a must for everyone.
Although PPE is preferred to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the CDC does approve of fabric and homemade face masks and coverings for the general public as the medical-grade equipment should be saved for medical professionals.
Please note: "Cloth face coverings should NOT be worn by children under the age of 2 or anyone who has trouble breathing, is unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance." Visit the CDC website or download this helpful PDF to learn more.
But First! Helpful Face Mask Resources:
- DIY Face Mask Information - This guide will also teach you all about masks, where to donate, and what precautions are needed when wearing handmade masks.
- 20+ Patterns for Face Masks - Our master collection of DIY face masks and accessories.
- Best Fabrics for Face Masks - This guide will explain which fabrics are the best to use for handmade masks.
- What Type of Filter Should I Use in a Face Mask? - This guide will explain everything you need to know about filters, including what to use in your DIY mask.
- How to Wash a Fabric Face Mask - This guide will explain the different ways to properly wash handmade masks.
- 16 Face Coverings to Sew - Need to cover your face but don't have a mask? No worries! Look through this collection for great alternatives.
Next-Gen Mask Challenge
The Next-Gen Mask Challenge is offering a $1 million prize split to three teams that can design a face mask that the general public will adopt.
From XPRISE: "The $1M Next-Gen Mask Challenge aims to reimagine protective face masks used to prevent the spread of COVID-19 by making them more comfortable, functional, accessible, and even stylish."
The Next-Gen Mask Challenge teams will be composed of the next generation of innovators ages 15-24 from all around the world.
Register by October 22, 2020. Learn more at the Next-Gen Mask Challenge.
-- DIY Face Masks for Kids --
Child Size Face Mask
From the Designer: "Use this pattern to make masks for your friends and family using their kid's favorite colors or character print. You can make this mask in about 10 minutes for an easy solution to prevent children from touching their faces, block out pollen during the springtime, or whatever your needs are."
Super Simple Face Mask Pattern
From the Designer: "With this super simple face mask you can help protect yourself and those you care about. These self-made masks will not filter out the virus from the air. But it will stop you from touching your face and transporting the virus to your mouth, eyes, or nose where you can be infected."
Easy Face Mask
From the Editor: Make matching parent and child masks to make your child feel more comfortable! This super easy pattern is full coverage and simple enough for beginner sewists to try. The tutorial includes photos for each step, too!
Fitted Face Mask Pattern
From the Designer: "I’m going to show you the easy way of making a triple-layer cotton face mask with filter pocket using a simple and easy fitted face mask pattern. After many requests for a more fitted face mask after my pleated face mask tutorial and the no elastic face mask, I’m sharing a tutorial for a fitted face mask pattern!"
DIY Face Masks In 3 Sizes
From the Designer: "We have added two new sizes of our snag fitting face mask pattern. The child-size pattern is for preschool-aged children and the small size is for kids in between. All 3 designs contain our updated written directions which include the option of adding a wire such as a paper clip along the nose area for a better fit."
Download your copy of our popular free eBook for going back to school. Whether it's remote or in-person, these projects will get them excited to learn!
Get it here >> "6 Free Sewing Projects to Make for Going Back to School" eBook
Simple Face Mask For Adults And Children
From the Designer: "[This DIY mask] is made with 100% tightly bound cotton, and it is very easy to make with very little sewing machine skill required. This particular tutorial uses elastics for the ties around the ears. They fit securely, especially if you use the "hack" for the nose wire!"
3D Face Mask Pattern
From the Designer: "This DIY 3D face mask is much more comfortable than the regular mask, making it ideal for situations where you must wear a mask for prolonged periods of time. You can download the 3D face mask pattern or follow the instructions to learn how to make 3d face mask pattern yourself."
No-Sew T-Shirt Face Mask
From the Designer: "This no-sew face mask is doubled layered so you can put filter material in between. What you need to make no-sew face mask is a T-shirt and sharp scissors and free template that is available to download on my blog. The template is in adult and child size." It's great to have a no-sew option for last-minute mask needs!
Multi-Size Pleated Face Mask
From the Designer: "These masks are easy to make, and the pattern I will share is great for pros and beginners. Learn how to sew a super simple surgical face mask from fabric with this easy step by step tutorial! The instructions are simple, so keep reading for more."
BONUS! Stuffed Animal Face Mask
From the Editor: We couldn't resist including this adorable face mask for your children's best friends: stuffed animals! Make masks for teddy bears or even their stuffed shark toy. It's a sweet way to help them feel connected and happy.
Crochet Face Mask Patterns >>
What style mask is the most comfortable, in your opinion?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Your wallet will love this Dollar Store Placemat Tote Bag. Almost any material can be used to make a DIY tote bag, but using placemats… Continue reading: "Dollar Store Placemat Tote Bag"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy Fleece Poncho Pattern For Kids
- How To Sew Fleece Blankets
- Baby Changing Mat Patterns
- Double Layer Chiffon Blouse Free Tutorial
- Diy Wine Dispenser From A Christmas Stocking
- Easy Diy Infinity Scarf
- Adorable 12-18 Month Old Dress Pattern
- No Sew Halloween Cape
- Diy Dog Ghost Costume
- Diy Grim Reaper Costume
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners