40+ Free Mug Rug Patterns
Looking for an easy scrapbusting project? Then these awesome mug rug patterns are exactly what you need!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
It's neither a coaster nor a placemat. Instead, it's a mug rug: a perfectly sized piece of fabric that stands between your coffee cup and your table. If you love quilting or working with fabric scraps, it's time to familiarize yourself with the mug rug.
We've put together this collection of 40+ Free Mug Rug Patterns for you to try. If you're looking for a free quilted mug rug pattern, you're sure to love our selections.
Even if you just enjoy just piecing together leftover fabric scraps, the patterns in this collection can inspire you to start creating.
Quilted mug rug patterns are fun because they won't take you all day to complete, but they're just as rewarding! Not to mention, once you get in a groove, you can make several in one sitting! Handmade gifts, anyone?
If you're more interested in making the traditional placemat, you'll find placemat patterns in this collection as well. For all those summer gatherings coming up, make festive placemats and napkins to complete your tablescape. They're just right for spring, summer, or any time of year.
Finally, use our free napkin patterns to learn how to make napkins that match the rest of your kitchen decor. Anyone can learn how to make napkins with the help of these easy-to-follow tutorials.
Sign Up for Free Patterns!
PLUS! Become an expert in no time by learning How to Prep a Quilted Mug Rug with this video tutorial from our friend Mary Beth Temple. Once you're finished with this part, learn how to seam bind your mug rug here. Just click play on the video below to watch.
Mug Rug Patterns
If you've been searching for free mug rug patterns, I'm happy to announce your search is over! We've collected a bunch of free mug rug patterns to show you below. Each has step-by-step instructions and large color photos so that learning how to make a mug rug is effortless! Just gather up your favorite fabric scraps and get ready to create!
A simple mug rug pattern offers you the solution of avoiding water or liquid stains on your table surfaces. Similar to a placemat, the mug rug is simply a place for your coffee cup and muffin or afternoon snack to sit. Plus, it's pretty to look at! As mentioned before, mug rugs make great gifts, too. Choose bright, fun fabric and personalize your mug rug pattern to give to someone special. They'll use it every day and think of you!
- Scrappy Stack Mug Rug Tutorial
- Under the Umbrella Mug Rug
- April Mug Rug Tutorial
- Happy Cup Mug Rug Pattern
- Cozy Little Cottage Mug Rug
- Stars of Wonder Christmas Mug Rug
- Happy Harvest DIY Mug Rug
- Bye Bye Birdie Mug Rug Tutorial
- Ghost Mug Rug Pattern
- Upcycled Yuletide Mug Rugs
- Squirrel's Picnic
- Hexie Mug Rug Tutorial
- Scented Hot Pad
- Flag Quilted Mug Rug Pattern
- Grandma's Secret Recipe Pot Holders
- Puppies and Kittens Mug Rug Tutorial
- Nautical Mug Rug Applique Template and Tutorial
- Too Cool for Spool Mug Rugs
- Fishy Kisses Mug Rug Pattern
- Art Deco Mug Rug Pattern and Sleeve
- Snowman Mug Rug Pattern
- I Spy It! DIY Mug Rug
Want more DIY kitchen decor? Check out 20+ Delightful Dish Towel Patterns
For the more traditional at heart, check out the free placemat patterns we've also included in this collection. With holidays always around the corner, there are going to be parties, parties, and more parties. Prepare yourself for all the hosting by learning how to make placemats that are party-ready. Put your creativity to the test by mixing and matching patterns and colors to create placemats that are great for your family table or for a specific event. Either way, these free placemat patterns are here to inspire you!
Learn how to make placemats you can use for the family dinner table every day or that you can take out for special events. Sewing placemats doesn't have to be time consuming or boring. Instead, check out our additional free placemat patterns, and you'll see that learning how to sew placemats is simple and fun.
- Rad Reversible Placemat Patterns
- Charm Pack Placemats
- Schoolhouse Chalkboard Placemat
- Roses Are Red DIY Placemats
- Table Setting Placemat
- Upcycled Pretty Purple Placemat
- Polaroid Free Placemat Patterns
- Two-in-One Hot Pad and Placemat
- Scrappy Quilted DIY Placemats
- Australia Day Placemat Tutorial
- Christmas Dinner Placemat
- Denim Placemats
- Reversible Cloth Place Mats and Napkins
- DIY Double-Sided Placemats
- Ready, Set, Eat Placemat
- Fussy Cut Placemats
- Reversible Placemat Sewing Pattern
- Classic Retro-Inspired Placemats
If you are looking for DIY sewing projects with the material you already have at home, check out these 100+ Sewing Projects by the Yard
BONUS! Napkin Sewing Patterns
Learn how to make napkins that are quick and easy. Once you see how simple it is to learn how to make napkins, you'll be using reusable fabric napkins for every meal! That will definitely bring something to the table, and it's eco-friendly. With just a few stitches you can make handmade napkins. For beginner sewists, learning how to make napkins is a great place to start.
Making the napkins isn't the hard part—trying to decide how to embellish and creatively alter your projects is more difficult! Check out the free napkin patterns included in this collection to complete dining accessory sewing.
- 9 Minute Napkins Tutorial
- Picnic Flatware Rolls
- Placemats and Napkins for Kids
- Leave It to Beaver Kitchen Decor
- Simple DIY Napkins
- Super Simple Double-Sided Napkins
- Spring Napkins
- Stash Busting Linen Napkins
- Eclectic Free Napkin Pattern
- Rustic Checkered Sewn Napkins
- Big Game Free Napkin Pattern
- Upcycled Denim Napkins Tutorial
Beginner-Friendly Kitchen Sewing Projects >>
What kinds of kitchen DIY do you love to make?
Let us know below in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Images from other crafters
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Recessed Zippers-how To Take Away The Pain
- How Do I Sew That- Boxed Corners On A Bag
- Water Bottle Carrier Bag
- Elastic Waist Skirt Pattern
- Adorable Pig Plush Pattern
- How To Sew A Scrunchie
- How To Upcycle A Swimming Suit
- How To Sew A Neckband
- 20+ Creative Necktie Crafts
- Churn Dash Quilt Block (in 4 Sizes!)
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners