38 Modern Sewing Patterns for Women
Turn heads when you go out wearing one of these trendy sewing patterns from our favorite independent designers!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Whether you're brand new to sewing or just want to find some trendier pieces to sew, this collection of modern sewing patterns and trendy sewing ideas is the place to start. While vintage and traditional patterns are always a charming way to add old-school charm to your wardrobe or home, these trendy and... dare I say... hipster sewing patterns are sure to add some en vogue wow pieces to your wardrobe. Below you will find 38 sewing patterns from some of our favorite independent sewing designers! These contemporary sewing enthusiasts are some of our most glamorous and stylish designers. You're sure to love their designs.
We have divided our collection of modern sewing patterns into sections below, making it easier to find what you need. Since women's clothing especially dresses, and skirts are the most searched for on our site we're focusing on those types of patterns! Scroll down to discover trendy sewing patterns for dresses, skirt patterns, absolutely stunning clothing items, and some bonus accessories below.
Plus, be sure to scroll all the way down to the bottom for our list of our 19 Favorite Modern and Independent Sewing Designers. We really recommend checking them out. Those ladies are a stylish and talented bunch. You'll want to follow all of their tutorials.
Modern Sewing Patterns for Women
Modern Free Dress Patterns
We're obsessed with these lovely free dress patterns. These trendy and stunning dress patterns look like they are right off the rack. With stylish cuts like this swing dress (pictured) and trendy fabrics like denim and floral prints, one of these darling dress patterns is sure to be your next project.
- Modern Mama Sundress Tutorial: This stunning little sundress will turn heads.
- The Briana Dress Pattern: We love this simple yet stylish dress pattern.
- Denim Shirt Dress Upcycling: Combining fabrics easily gives projects a modern edge, we love this denim and floral combo.
- Color Blocked Work Dress: Nothing says mod and trendy like some color blocking.
- Summer Breeze DIY Swing Dress: This breezy and beautiful design looks like it is right off the shelves at Anthropologie.
- The Day Date Dress: This is one of our most popular dresses.
- DIY Tory Burch T-Shirt Dress: Cool girl style was never so easily attained.
- Layered Bodice Maxi Dress: Love this summer look that can easily carry over to fall with a cardi and a scarf.
Trendy Skirt Patterns
Looking for a skirt with flair or extra wow? These trendy and oh-so-flattering skirt patterns are sure to bring a smile to your face. Pair these cuties with some trendy tights or colorful leggings for an especially stylish look. Colorful fabrics are back. Embrace it!
- Gathered Pencil Skirt Tutorial: This modern take on the classic pencil skirt gives it a flowing boho look!
- Sew Classic DIY Skirt: Pair this skirt with some high heels and a tee for a simple look that will turn heads.
- 15-Minute Lace Skirt: In just 15 minutes, you can add lace to your wardrobe. Darker colors will make this cutie edgier while pastels will give it a femme touch.
More Modern Clothing Patterns for Women
We couldn't complete this list without some of the more modern sewing pieces below. Check out these tutorials for updated hemlines, bodysuits, jumpsuits, and more. Don't be intimidated by these more daring ideas. You'll look amazing.
- Two Yard Jumpsuit: Dare to be different and try out this jumpsuit. They're honestly very comfortable and flattering.
- Convertible DIY Bodysuit: A bodysuit worn under a skirt or some jeans can give you a seamless look.
- Modern DIY Maxi Cardi: Long sweaters paired with boyfriend jeans are this Fall's big, cozy look.
- Scalloped Hemline DIY Refashion: Redo an old shirt into a new modern piece.
- One Hour Sophisticated Summer Shorts: Flowy and baggy shorts have replaced denim short shorts (thank goodness)!
- One Hour Kimono Wrap: This kimono is flowy and fab in just about any fabric.
- Decorative Patch Sewing Tutorial: Upcycle an old button up or chambray shirt to add some trendy accents.
- Sunbeam Oversized Top: You'll look like a celeb on vacation in this comfy and chic top.
- 30 Minute Fringe Crop Top: Fringe crop tops are a little daring, but this one is genuinely flattering. Wear it with a high-waisted skirt for a peekaboo look.
- Chic Embroidered Raglan Dolman Top: Multiple patterns on one piece is a big say-yes in the fashion world these days. Anything can go together!
Trendy Bags, Accessories, and More to Sew
Not ready to fully commit to a fashionable frock? Then why not add one of these chic accessories to your closet. These fashionable little add-ons will easily take your look from okay to OH WOW in minutes. Plus, making your own leggings and ponchos can really save you some serious dough.
- Urban Jungle Bag Pattern: Big bags with big patterns really add to any look.
- The Hedgerow Bookbag Pattern: This rustic book bag is a great piece to add to a casual daytime look. Plus, it's perfect for the office.
- Fall Jacket to Vest Refashion: Layering up every fall and winter can be crazy stylish with a vest like this!
19 Modern Sewing Designers We Love
Looking for even more modern sewing patterns and projects to try out? Check out our favorite trendy sewing bloggers to watch. (All of them have a pattern or 5 featured above!)
- Merrick White from merricksart.com
- Daniela Gutierrez-Diaz from onthecuttingfloor.com
- Beverly McCullough from flamingotoes.com
- Deby Coles from so-sew-easy.com
- Leanne Barlow from elleapparelblog.com
- Riva from rivaladiva.com
- Sara Lawson from sewsweetness.com
- Jessica Abbott from mesewcrazy.com
- Doja O from blog.elewa.co.uk
- Kristina from kristinaclemens.blogspot.com
- Britney Menter from britcreates.blogspot.com
- Delia from deliacreates.com
- Liz from cottonandcurls.com
- Laura Gummerman from abeautifulmess.com
- Geneva Vanderzeil from apairandasparediy.com
- Lauren from theresourcegirls.com
- Melanie Lalonde from thelittleststudio.com
- Cat W from marymarthamama.com
- Mariah McPherson from redrabbitmercantile.com
What fashion trend are you obsessing over right now?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- 45 Free Printable Sewing Patterns
- Make Your Own Lingerie Guide
- 75+ Free Dress Patterns
- Comfortably Bold Shirt Refashion Pattern
- DIY Pom Pom Sweater
- 19 Free Vest Sewing Patterns
- 30+ Hippie Sewing Patterns
- 500+ Tutorials for Making Your Own Clothes
- 35+ Figure Flattering Free Sewing Patterns
- 30+ American Girl Doll Sewing Patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Card Trick Quilt Block
- Spaghetti Strap Top Pattern
- Teeny Tiny Mini Zipper Pouch Keyring
- Tiered Spring Mini Dress
- Free Little Black Dress Pattern
- Upcycled Sweater Beret Sewing Pattern
- Easy No Sew Blanket
- DIY Tech Case Tutorial
- Quaint Quilt Block Pattern
- Cozy DIY Spa Slippers
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners