9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
40+ Patterns for Easy Homemade Pillows
By: Jessica Farris, Editor, AllFreeSewing.com
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Learn how to make a decorative pillow that fits your decor with 36 Patterns for Easy Homemade Pillows. These creative designs allow you to make throw pillows of all kinds! Are you unwilling to spend a ton of money on decorative items? With this list, you can make DIY pillow patterns to complement any theme. You can learn how to make throw pillows and adorable decorative pillows in no time! If you don't know how to make a pillow, just check out one of these throw pillow tutorials for great tips and design ideas. Sew throw pillows for every room in your house, or make one to give as a gift. Once you learn how to make throw pillows, you can spruce up every room in the house. DIY pillows make great, safe additions to a child's bedroom or playroom, and they can become wonderful family treasures. Soften up your lifestyle by learning new ways to make diy pillow designs!
Learn how to make a pillow with these decorative DIY pillow patterns that will certainly brighten up your home because pillows are a staple in DIY home decor. Whether you are looking to learn how to make a decorative pillow or you just want to know how to sew a pillow that is subtle for your bedroom, these cute and trendy pillows are going to be your new favorite easy sewing patterns. Learn how to make a pillow and add some sass to your home and life when you scroll down and check out our 40+ Patterns for Easy Homemade Pillows.
For some tips and tricks, plus a super cute pillow pattern, check out the video tutorial down below to see how you can make a perfect throw pillow pattern!
Table of Contents
Get your fix of decoration inspiration by downloading our free eBook, 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More. 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
How to Make a Decorative Pillow
The right set of throw pillows can be the perfect finishing touch to any room. Learn how to make a decorative pillow and brighten up your living room, bedroom, or den with this list of free pillow designs and pillow patterns. From simple square pillows to detailed designs, you can't go wrong with this list of DIY throw pillows.
- Perfect Pom Pom DIY PillowInspired by a pillow seen at Anthropologie, this simple sewing project will satisfy your need for style with its delightful design without the huge cost at your favorite store.
- DIY No Sew PillowsThe DIY No Sew Pillows will add flair to your home decor but won't take all afternoon to make.
- Easy Ribbon Pillow TutorialThis is one of the cutest beginner sewing projects that we've come across. Newbie sewers should follow this Easy Ribbon Pillow Tutorial to create a beautiful pillow that will add a bit of flair to any room.
- Polka Dot Burlap PillowUpdate drab or old DIY home decor with this quick and lovely no-sew technique. By adding a stripe of burlap to one of your throw pillows, you can easily become part of the rustic home decor trend.
- DIY Snowflake PillowWhat better time to sew your own pillow but during the holidays? This super cute and easy DIY Snowflake Pillow is the perfect holiday gift or decoration.
- Nature Damask Free Pillow PatternThe Nature Damask Free Pillow Pattern is a stunning way to add a new accent piece to your home.
- Patriotic Throw PillowsIf you're decorating for a patriotic holiday in the United States, try using fabric patterned with stars and stripes to make pillows like the ones shown here.
- Leather Aztec DIY PillowsIf you want to add some Southwest flair to your living space, this brash and bohemian idea shows you how to make a pillow with leather and geometric designs.
- Hexagon Fat Quarter DIY PillowYou’ll need fat quarters, linen as big as the pillow form, a half yard of fabric, and embroidery thread for this sewing project.
- Beautiful Bohemian Pillow TutorialUse the Beautiful Bohemian Pillow Tutorial to create a unique and lovely pillow that's sure to spruce up your couch or bed.
- Sassy Yo Yo DIY PillowThis adorable pillow cover is the ultimate scrap busting project. Created by making several dozen yo yos, this piece of home decor will match any room you put it in.
- How to Make a Pillowcase of PinwheelsIf you are looking for a bright and cheerful way to add some cheery DIY home decor to your springtime or summertime home, look no further than this gorgeous and easy DIY pillowcase.
- Front Porch DIY PillowsYou do not need to confine your homemade pillow patterns to inside your house. Add some color to your front porch, veranda, pool area, or even your patio with these Front Porch DIY Pillows.
- Spring Time DIY PillowGather all the sweetness of spring and store it in this Spring Time DIY Pillow.
- Wild Elephant DIY PillowCreate a colorful masterpiece when you try out the Wild Elephant DIY Pillow sewing tutorial. This fun sewing project that involves transferring a design onto vinyl.
Unique Pillow Designs
These pillow cover patterns are the perfect combination of practical and whimsical! If you've been looking for that little bit of charm to add to your favorite room, then these are the pillow designs for you. Packed with personality, these sewing projects for beginners are also great DIY crafts for teens learning how to sew.
- Pizza My Heart DIY PillowDesign a deliciously simple pillow that teens and tweens will love with this crazy fun Pizza My Heart DIY Pillow.
- Cupid's Arrow Pillow PatternIf you've been searching for an adorable project in time for Valentine's Day, then you'll love this Cupid's Arrow Pillow Pattern.
- Whoo's Looking At Me PillowAdd an adorable, wise little friend to your DIY home decor. This Whoo's Looking At Me Pillow is cute, quirky, and easy to sew.
- Flower PillowCreate this lovely DIY home decor piece and you will really add a romantic element to your living space. This DIY pillow looks like a rose blossoming in the spring time.
- Macaron PillowsCombining the fluffy design of the French cookie and the airy pastel quality of fleece, these adorable pillows are hard to pass by. Make them today!
- Donut DIY Pillow PatternIf you are looking to give your guests a serious laugh or searching for the perfect homemade gift idea for a friend with a sweet tooth, this free pillow pattern will absolutely be your next sewing project.
- Adorable Fire Truck PillowYour little guy will love snuggling with his new pillow, especially knowing that you made it just for him.
- Little Lamb PillowsUse this easy sewing pattern to create little lamb pillows for toddlers, babies or children.
- Polar Bear DIY Floor PillowThe Polar Bear DIY Floor Pillow is a unique homemade gift to make for your child. This chilly and soft little bear would make a great friend to watch move or cartoons with on a lazy Saturday morning.
How to Sew a Pillow with Ruffles
If you've been looking to add some special details to your next sewing project, you're in luck. Learn how to make ruffles and other small details with these pillow designs for beginners. If you're new to sewing and have been searching for a way to spruce up your home, you'll love this collection of simple pillow patterns.
- Pretty in Pink Ruffle Throw PillowChannel your inner Andie from Pretty in Pink with this DIY throw pillow.
- Gathered Throw PillowDecorate your home with easy sewing projects to add some DIY flair to your living space.
- Ruffly PillowLearn how to make a decorative pillow with this free, printable sewing pattern.
- Ruffled PillowWhether you are brand new to sewing or a total expert, this DIY pillow project is going to be easy peasy. The Ruffled Pillows add a feminine edge to any couch or pillow.
- French Typography Ruffled PillowWhen guests walk into your home and compliment your French Typography Ruffled Pillow, you can tell them it wasn't difficult to make despite how complicated it looks.
- Big and Bright Flower PillowThis Big and Bright Flower Pillow is a great way to add a pop of color to your outdoor furniture for only a little bit of money.
- Plump and Plushy PillowsThese Plump and Plushy Pillows are cute, cuddly, and will instantly brighten up your room. The round shape, gathered fabric, and tufted edges make these pillows unique and fun.
- Darling DIY Throw PillowsThis two-in-one tutorial shows you how to make throw pillows that subtly match each other in an interesting and unique way.
- Blossom Pillow Sewing PatternIf you are looking for a stunning way to add some floral flair to your home or just need some seasonally appropriate throw pillows, the Blossom Pillow Sewing Pattern is sure to be your next favorite piece of DIY home decor.
DIY Decorative Pillow Designs
If you've been searching for some unique DIY home decor that you can't find at Pier 1 or TJ Maxx, then why not make some of your own? This list of charming decorative pillows and cushion designs is a great way to inject some personality and charm into your home!
- Liberty Chevron Cushion"This colourful cushion is a great way to use up fabric scraps or a charm pack."
- Neck PillowUse these baby sewing projects to make one for the baby to use in the car, and then decorate the nursery with this pretty pillow.
- Pouf PillowYour teen will love lounging with this pouf pillow and a good book, or gossiping with her friends surrounded by colorful throw pillows.
- Seeing Stars Pillow TutorialThis festive sewing project is great for patriotic holidays or for sprucing up a child's room. Let the Seeing Stars Pillow Tutorial teach you how to make a pillow for a bed or couch.
- 3 Hour DIY Bolster PillowIf you are looking to add a little bit of flash and sass to an otherwise neutral bedroom, you absolutely need to learn how to make a pillow like this one.
- Team Pride DIY Home Decor PillowsIf you are looking for a way to display a pennant from your local high school or college sports teams, this adorable easy sewing project is your best bet.
- PJ-Holding DIY Pillow PatternHelp your kids keep track of the pajamas with this insanely clever and useful pillow sewing pattern.
- Rugged Mountain DIY PillowsThis easy project is a thousand times easier than climbing Mt. Everest. In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to make pillows that resemble a cluster of snow-covered mountains.
Cushion Making Patterns for Home Decor
Great for indoor or outdoor decor, these ideas for cushion making are quick projects that easily add a pop of color to any room. Great for beginner sewists, these decorative DIY cushions are quick projects that you can complete in a single afternoon, making them an easy way to update your living space.
- Denim Chevron CushionDo you have lots of denim scraps left over from other recycling projects? This denim cushion is perfect for utilizing them.
- Hidden Zipper Free Pillowcase PatternLooking for a neat way to finish off your cushion covers? This tutorial provides instructions for how to add a zipper and enclose it for a beautiful end result.
- Make a Frilled CushionYou've made simple pillows in the past, now it's time for something a little more special. The Make a Frilled Cushion project will look great on any bed or couch.
- Fat Star PillowMake a pillow that outshines typical couch accessories by sewing a stuffed star rather than a simple geometric shape.
- Raw Edged Dresden Plate PillowThanks to these pillow instructions, it's easy to piece your fabric together into a star burst appliqued cushion that will brighten up your home decor.
- Enchanted Cottage Pillow PatternLearn how to sew a cushion that looks like it was taken right out of a fairytale with this charming pattern.
- Hawaiian Style Felt Floor PillowsWhether you want a comfy place for your family to sit or simple lack the space to keep full-sized chairs in your home, these jumbo DIY pillows will add a comfy and practical accent to just about any room.
- Patterned Pillow Cover in MinutesDIY pillow covers are just what you need to redecorate your home on a budget. Because this project only takes a few minutes, you could sew several pillow covers to mix and match.
- Kodiak Bear Paw Pillow PatternThis insanely easy, homemade pillow can be created in about 2 hours, uses about a yard of fabric, and was inspired by Paddington himself.
We have even more DIY pillow ideas and more in our beautiful bedroom collection, Design Your Bedroom: 38 Tutorials on Sewing a Blanket, Pillows, and More. Design Your Bedroom: 38 Tutorials on Sewing a Blanket, Pillows, and More
What kind of pillow pattern do you love to make?
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Upcycled Palm Leaf DIY Clutch
- Chill Pill DIY Pillow
- Classic DIY Gym Bag
- Rainbow DIY Felt Message Board
- No Sew Pop Tart DIY Pillow
- Hand Sewing Buttons
- DIY Stethoscope Covers
- Link Love: 13 Online Resources for Vintage Sewing Patterns
- Tropical Crush Pot Holder
- Watermelon DIY Beach Cover Up