38 Modern Sewing Patterns for Women
Turn heads when you go out wearing one of these trendy sewing patterns from our favorite independent designers!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Whether you're brand new to sewing or just want to find some trendier pieces to sew, this collection of 38 Modern Sewing Patterns and trendy sewing ideas for women is the place to start.
While vintage and traditional patterns are always a charming way to add old-school charm to your wardrobe or home, these trendy and... dare I say... hipster sewing patterns are sure to add some en vogue wow pieces to your wardrobe. Plus, everything comes back around, right? Every modern piece still has a touch of the past.
Below you will find 38 clothing sewing patterns along with accessories and other wearables from some of our favorite independent sewing designers! These contemporary sewing enthusiasts are some of our most glamorous and stylish designers. You're sure to love their designs.
We have divided our collection of modern sewing patterns into sections below, making it easier to find what you need. Since women's clothing especially dresses, and skirts are the most searched for on our site we're focusing on those types of patterns! Scroll down to discover trendy sewing patterns for dresses, skirt patterns, absolutely stunning clothing items, and some bonus accessories below.
Plus, be sure to scroll all the way down to the bottom for our list of our 18 Favorite Modern and Independent Sewing Designers. We really recommend checking them out. Those ladies are a stylish and talented bunch. You'll want to follow all of their tutorials.
Sign up for our free email newsletter for more amazing projects!
Find this and more unique sewing projects you'll love as part of National Sewing Month 2021
Modern Sewing Patterns for Women
It's sometimes difficult to find pretty and stylish sewing patterns for women's clothes, especially for free, which is why we're so excited to be bringing you these fabulous designs.
Take a look at our curated free dress patterns, skirt patterns, other trendy wearables, and accessories. We're also sharing our favorite modern bloggers at the bottom of the page, so be sure to check that out. You'll have 18 amazing designers to follow for all of your modern sewing needs.
Modern Free Dress Patterns
We're obsessed with these lovely free dress patterns. These trendy and stunning dress patterns look like they are right off the rack.
With stylish cuts like this swing dress (pictured) and trendy fabrics like denim and floral prints, one of these darling dress patterns is sure to be your next project.
- Modern Mama Sundress Tutorial: This stunning little sundress will turn heads.
- The Briana Dress Pattern: We love this simple yet stylish dress pattern.
- Denim Shirt Dress Upcycling: Combining fabrics easily gives projects a modern edge, we love this denim and floral combo.
- Color Blocked Work Dress: Nothing says mod and trendy like some color blocking.
- Summer Breeze DIY Swing Dress: This breezy and beautiful design looks like it is right off the shelves at Anthropologie.
- The Day Date Dress: This is one of our most popular dresses. It's a perfect blend of vintage conservative with modern lines.
- Totally Twiggy Mod Dress: Vintage is coming back in style, so try this mod dress with bright colors (which are also in!).
- Layered Bodice Maxi Dress: Love this summer look that can easily carry over to fall with a cardi and a scarf.
Have you never made your own clothes or consider yourself a beginner? We're here to help! Finally, a beginner's guide to making your own clothes. Get started sewing DIY clothing today >> How to Get Started Sewing Clothes: A Beginner's Guide
Trendy Skirt Patterns
Looking for a skirt with flair or extra wow? These trendy and oh-so-flattering skirt patterns are sure to bring a smile to your face.
Pair these cuties with some trendy tights or colorful leggings for an especially stylish look. Colorful fabrics are back. Embrace it!
- 15-Minute Tuxedo Skirt: Simple yet stunning. This skirt will always be modern.
- Cotton Candy Pleated Skirt: The pleated skirt look is in and so are bright colors, so this is the perfect skirt to try!
- One Seam Wrap Skirt: Wrap skirts are the way to go for any look, and this skirt won't come open at all.
- Gathered Pencil Skirt Tutorial: This modern take on the classic pencil skirt gives it a flowing boho look!
- Sew Classic DIY Skirt: Pair this skirt with some high heels and a tee for a simple look that will turn heads.
- 15-Minute Lace Skirt: Showing skin through your skirt is very trendy right now, so lengthen or shorten the inner skirt to your liking!
Have you ever wanted to start your own clothing line? Developing a brand and selling your DIY clothes can seem intimidating but these tips will help get you there >> How Do I Start My Own Clothing Line? (2022)
More Modern Clothing Patterns for Women
We couldn't complete this list without some of the more modern sewing pieces below.
Check out these tutorials for updated hemlines, bodysuits, jumpsuits, and more. Don't be intimidated by these more daring ideas. You'll look amazing.
- Scalloped Hemline DIY Refashion: Redo an old shirt into a new modern piece.
- One Hour Sophisticated Summer Shorts: Flowy and baggy shorts have replaced denim short shorts (thank goodness)!
- One Hour Kimono Wrap: This kimono is flowy and fab in just about any fabric.
- Summer Gingham Top: The cute sleeves and rise of gingham's popularity make this a great addition to your wardrobe!
- Sunbeam Oversized Top: You'll look like a celeb on vacation in this comfy and chic top.
- 30 Minute Fringe Crop Top: Fringe crop tops are a little daring, but this one is genuinely flattering. Wear it with a high-waisted skirt for a peekaboo look.
- Burberry Rain Cape: This look is way cuter than a regular raincoat.
Trendy Bags, Accessories, and More to Sew
Not ready to fully commit to a fashionable frock? Then why not add one of these chic accessories to your closet.
These fashionable little add-ons will easily take your look from okay to OH WOW in minutes. Plus, making your own leggings and ponchos can really save you some serious dough.
18 Modern Sewing Designers We Love
Looking for even more modern sewing patterns and projects to try out?
Check out our favorite trendy sewing bloggers to watch. (All of them have a pattern or 5 featured above!)
- Merrick White from merricksart.com
- Daniela Gutierrez-Diaz from onthecuttingfloor.com
- Beverly McCullough from flamingotoes.com
- Deby Coles from so-sew-easy.com
- Leanne Barlow from elleapparelblog.com
- Riva from rivaladiva.com
- Sara Lawson from sewsweetness.com
- Jessica Abbott from mesewcrazy.com
- Doja O from blog.elewa.co.uk
- Kristina from kristinaclemens.blogspot.com
- Britney Menter from britcreates.blogspot.com
- Delia from deliacreates.com
- Liz from cottonandcurls.com
- Laura Gummerman from abeautifulmess.com
- Geneva Vanderzeil from apairandasparediy.com
- Lauren from theresourcegirls.com
- Melanie Lalonde from thelittleststudio.com
- Cat W from marymarthamama.com
About the Author:
Kaylee Pope was an editor at AllFreeSewing and former SEO strategist and Audience Development Team lead at Prime Publishing LLC. Learn more about her work here: Kaylee Pope, Editor
Read Next45 Free Printable Sewing Patterns
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Teardrop Nostalgic Christmas Ornament
- Felt Nativity Advent Calendar Pattern
- Diy Fabric Tree For Christmas
- Star Christmas Ornament Block
- Sew Fast Autumn Table Runner Pattern
- Yoga Mat Strap
- Square Kitchen Potholders
- Christmas Ornaments With Stripes
- Free Fleece Hat Pattern
- Mini Felt Christmas Stocking Garland
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners