Why is My Thread Wrapping Around the Bobbin?
If you have bobbin issues, you're not alone! Don't fret because this guide covers sewing machine thread clogging problems.
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
Bobbin issues can be one of the most frustrating parts of machine sewing. That's when you need this help guide, Why is My Thread Wrapping Around the Bobbin?
For such a small sewing supply it can really cause big headaches! When the bottom bobbin thread becomes loose and tangled it ruins the whole line of stitching, requiring it to be removed and redone.
If this has been bothering you, here are some helpful tips to fix this problem and prevent it from happening in the future.
Before that, don't miss our other pages to help you with the most common sewing machine bobbin problems and solutions.
Once you read through this resource, your bobbin issues will be a thing of the past!
P.S. Sign Up For More Free Resources & Patterns You'll Love!
Have more sewing, fabric, or measurement questions? We have answers. Check out this page for answers to your biggest questions.
>> 160+ Sewing Questions Answered: Ultimate FAQs Guide
FIRST! Beginner Sewing Resources
If you're a beginner, then be sure to read these helpful pages. These resources will help you grasp basic techniques, speed up your processes, and get you on the right track to becoming a can-do-all sewist.
- What Does a Bobbin Do? Guide
- How to Load a Bobbin in a Machine
- Does Sewing Thread Get Old?
- How Much Thread Do I Need?
- How to Measure Thread Size
- Types of Thread Materials
- How to Use a Needle Threader
- How to Use a Seam Ripper
- Sewing Tools and Equipment
- How to Use a Thimble
- Sewing Machine Problems & Solutions
- Sewing Hacks That Will Change Your Life
- Why is My Sewing Machine Not Moving the Fabric?
- How to End a Sewing Stitch by Hand or Machine
Why is My Thread Wrapping Around the Bobbin? Guide
Whether your sewing machine isn't catching the thread or it's bunching up as you sew, there's a solution. Take a look at the sections below to learn the details as to why your threaded bobbin might be causing trouble.
Check the Bobbin
First, try to identify what is most likely happening. If the bobbin itself is damaged (chipped, warped, etc.) throw it away and use a new one.
Also, double-check that the bobbin being used is the correct kind for the brand of machine. Some sewing machine companies use slightly different bobbins that aren’t universal.
Extra Tip: Bobbins are easy to mix up, so keep them in labeled organizers if you have more than one machine.
The top spool and bobbin (usually) should be the same kind of thread for smooth sewing (the exception being if you’re using elastic thread in a bobbin for stretchy fabrics).
So if your bobbin is acting weird be sure that they haven’t gotten mismatched. Additionally, the bobbin could be in backwards, so review the manufacturer’s instructions for threading your sewing machine.
A broken or bent machine needle can also cause bobbin problems, so examine that as well. Regularly changing your needle is recommended for smooth sewing.
Rethread the Bobbin and Machine
If you’ve checked all of the above and it’s still tangling there’s most likely an issue with the threading of the machine or winding of the bobbin.
Almost all bobbin wrapping issues (that aren’t due to a damaged or incorrect bobbin) can be solved by unthreading and then rethreading the machine. Start by fully removing the bobbin and the top spool of thread from the equipment.
Set the machine up again using a newly-threaded bobbin, and do a tester on a scrap piece of material before continuing your project.
Extra Tip: Brush out any debris that might be in the little hole that holds the bobbin. This can also cause jamming.
Keep your machine clean and ready to sew by covering it with a cute DIY cover. This page has many options to love.
>> 16 Free Sewing Machine Cover Patterns
Sewing Machine Settings
A sewing machine’s tension can be another cause of jamming or wrapping bobbins. The top thread may be too loose, or even too tight. Create a swatch tester piece to try sewing on until the tension settings are just right.
Extra Tip: When winding your bobbin don’t use the fastest speed on your machine. This can cause the bobbin to wind unevenly.
Repairs and Cleanings
Regular cleaning and repairs of your sewing machine by a professional will keep it running in top shape.
The cleaner and more functional your machine, the less likely that problems with the bobbin getting wrapped up will occur. Preventing bobbin issues before they happen is always a good idea!
How to Choose a Sewing Machine >>
What other tips do you have to stop your bobbin from tangling?
Let us know in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- To Wash Fabric Before Sewing or Not?
- Best Fabric for Skirts
- Placemat Purse
- Sewing Mistakes
- 50+ Sewing Crafts That Sell Well
- 50+ Sewing Hacks
- How To Make A Quilt From Start To Finish 8 Easy Steps
- Why is Thread Wrapped Around My Bobbin?
- How to Remove Stains from White Clothes
- How to Fix Runs in Tights
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Simple Ornate Celestial Quilt Pattern
- Denim Halloween Hanging Pockets
- Diy Simple Scrunchy - A Simple Sewing Project
- Favorite Fast Four Patch Quilt Pattern For Beginners
- How To Sew Fabric Bows
- Free Pumpkin Sewing Pattern
- How To Make A Quilt From Start To Finish 8 Easy Steps
- Witch Hat Halloween Table Runner Quilt Pattern
- September 2023 Mystery Sew Along
- 10 Minutes Hand Warmers
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Projects
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners