173 How to Sew Clothes Ideas: Tips for Making Your Own Clothes on the Cheap
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
If you have ever tried to spend any amount of time learning how to make your own clothes, you know that figuring out how to sew clothes on a budget can actually be really difficult. Unlike small and easy sewing projects, tutorials that show you how to make your own clothes often involves much more fabric, time, and even money. You do not want to use cheap fabric for something you will be wearing and you certainly cannot construct a whole skirt out of small scraps. Many people who are learning how to sew are doing so to learn how to sew clothes. While free sewing patterns can help you save money, it certainly isn’t simple to learn how to make your own clothes on the cheap that do not look cheap. Luckily for you, the editors of AllFreeSewing.com are experts when it comes to sewing clothes with budget-friendly ideas. Whether you are learning how to resize a pattern, making your own clothes from start to finish, or just refashioning a dull idea, you are going to be able to find tutorials and patterns on how to make your own clothes that will not only fit your budget but fit your style, as well. 173 How to Sew Clothes Ideas: How to Make Your Own Clothes on the Cheap will help you make a DIY wardrobe in no time!
If you are looking for a specfic type of clothing pattern, check out our massive collection of free sewing patterns to make your own clothes, How to Make Clothes: 500+ Tutorials for Making Your Own Clothes.
173 How to Sew Clothes Ideas: How to Make Your Own Clothes on the Cheap
Follow this list of 9 smart tips for how to make your own clothes on a budget, and you will be a DIY diva in no time.
1. When you are learning how to make your own clothes, be sure to sew up basic and neutral pieces you can wear time and time again. You’ll wear the fuchsia skirt maybe once a year, but free skirt patterns like a sleek, black pencil skirt pattern can be worn pretty much whenever you want.
- How to Make a Pencil Skirt: 11 Pencil Skirt Patterns
- Any Day Free Skirt Pattern
- Dolman DIY T-Shirt
- Versatile Little Black Dress
2. A lot of free sewing patterns and tutorials that show you how to sew clothes focus on restructuring a piece completely. Instead of recycling, considering refashioning (or simple re-dos) when deciding how to make your own clothes.
- 44 Wardrobe Refashion Projects
- Flattering T-Shirt Refashion
- Pretty Python Designer Sweater
- Sweater Upcycled Clothing Idea
3. The most expensive part about making your own clothes? The fabric! Save money by learning how to make a pillowcase dress or what you can make with vintage fabrics.
- How to Sew a Pillowcase Dress: 16 Easy Sewing Projects that Use Pillowcases
- Little French Pillowcase Dress
- DIY Pillowcase Night Dress
- How to Clean Vintage Fabric
- Vintage Free Apron Patterns
4. Making your own clothes does not mean buying new patterns. Learn how to use pieces that fit you now to make your own pattern.
- Make Your Own Clothes: How to Make a Pattern
- How to Make a Pattern from Jeans
- Make Your Own Pattern Blouse
- Make Your Own Pattern
5. Looking to make clothes for kids? Turn old clothing into new kid’s clothes patterns with these ideas.
- Man's Shirt to Child's Dress Refashion
- This Dress Used to Be Mommy's
- Boy's Button Up into Girl's Shirt with Tie
6. Tutorials that show you how to make your own clothes often involve salvaging old pieces. Learn how to resize your current patterns and pieces for your current size.
7. We had to mention this one! Don’t buy clothing patterns when you learn how to sew clothes, use free sewing patterns!
8. Learning how to make your own clothes will so much easier if you watch someone else do it. Check out some free sewing patterns that come with videos.
- Sewing Clothes 101: 8 Sewing Videos
- How to Make a One Shoulder Dress
- How to Make a Reversible Dress
- More Video Tutorials
9. You probably have a lot of old tees laying around. Learn how to sew clothes out of old tees and you’ll barely spend a dime making these free clothing patterns.
- Emma Pilsbury T-Shirt Refashion
- DIY Tank Top
- 9 Ways to Transform Old T-Shirts eBook
- 20 Minute Shirt to Skirt Refashion
- One Skirt Makes 3 DIY T-Shirts
How do you save money when you are sewing up free clothing patterns?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
This Itty Bitty Simple Dress Pattern combines the adorable look of a little girls' dress with the convenience of a onesie, making it… Continue reading: "Itty Bitty Simple Dress Pattern"
- 45 Free Printable Sewing Patterns
- 75+ Free Dress Patterns for Sewing
- Make Your Own Lingerie Guide
- Ultra Chic DIY Jumpsuit
- 30 1920s Sewing Patterns
- 500+ Tutorials for Making Your Own Clothes
- 35+ Figure Flattering Free Sewing Patterns
- 19 Free Vest Sewing Patterns
- 30+ Hippie Sewing Patterns
- Fashion in the 1960s: 14 Vintage Sewing Patterns for Today
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- DIY Fabric Flowers Tutorial (With Free Printable Template!)
- Large DIY Fabric Basket
- DIY One Seam Wrap Skirt
- How to Sew a Robe
- Tooth Fairy Pillow Pattern
- How to Sew Running Stitch
- Baby Skirt Pattern
- Aladdin's Vest
- How to Sew Canvas
- How to make Lavender Bags
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners