100 Best Sewing Projects of 2020
Browse the 100 most popular sewing projects of the year!
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
What a year it has been on AllFreeSewing! The 100 sewing patterns below were chosen by readers just like you as our most popular projects of 2020.
One of the most unexpected new type of project this year was face masks. These quickly became the most sought-after sewing project, which is why you'll find the most popular DIY masks featured on our site this year in this countdown. In fact, we're starting with them because what's more 2020 than masks?
This countdown includes the best of the best from the entire site, many of which have been popular for years. However, a few surprises and several new projects, too. There really is something for everyone.
Peruse this list and discover some of our fan-favorite trends along the way from this unprecedented year. Besides masks, this list features patterns ranging from DIY fashion to organizers to cute accessories and so much more—you won't want to miss a single pattern! Here are some stand-out trends you loved in 2020:
Bags, Bags, and More Bags!
Patterns for the Kitchen
Home and Sewing Room Organization
Don't forget to let us know in the comments what your favorite project of the year was!
Plus, if you want to see more great sewing patterns like these in your inbox,
make sure to sign up for our daily newsletter, Sewing It Up!
Table of Contents
Face Mask Patterns
As mentioned in the intro, DIY fabric masks were the biggest surprise trend of the year. With COVID-19 and a shortage of professional masks, many sewists created their own multi-layer mark tutorials and patterns. If you're looking for more, check out our 20 Top Fabric Face Masks of 2020 countdown.
Bag Sewing Patterns
Purses, totes, and other various types of bags may be the most popular type of sewing project on our site. Fortunately, we have hundreds of bag patterns for people to browse. Below, find the most popular bags chosen by readers. With this variety, you won't be done with your sewing to-do list anytime soon!
- Twenty Minute Tote
- Japanese Knot Bag Pattern
- How to Make a Bag in One Hour
- Nana's Perfect Picnic Tote Pattern
- 5 Minute Free Bag Pattern
- Remona's Reversible Tote Bag
- Mixed-Up Market Bag Sewing Pattern
- 5 Minute Bread Bag
- Happy Trails Tote Pattern
- Half Hour Circle Stitch Clutch
- One Hour Bag
- Super-Organizing DIY Tote Bag
- The Easiest DIY Bag on the Planet to Sew
- Easy Colorblock Clutch Tutorial
- Woven Ribbon Tote Tutorial
- Anne Pouch Tutorial
- 2 Yard Japanese Knot Bag
- The Lauren Bag Pattern
Clothing Sewing Patterns
Clothes can be intimidating but our audience tested and approved of these mostly easy clothing sewing projects. With a fun mix of dresses, skirts, shirts, and more, you won't get bored.
- The Day Date Dress
- Simple 15 Minute Skirt
- Ruffle Blouse
- Cuddly Cute Baby Pants Pattern
- How to Resize a Bra
- Dirndl Skirt
- Fit and Flare Free Dress Pattern
- 3 Hour Kimono Pattern
- Peasant Top
- 2 Hour Tunic Dress Tutorial
- Modern Grace Dress Pattern
- Instant Upgrade Peplum Top Tutorial
- Flattering DIY Dress
- Vintage DIY Skirt
- 2 Hour Top
- Sunbeam Oversized DIY Top
- Effortless Caftan Dress
- Michael Kors-Inspired Poncho Pattern
- Baby Peasant Dress
Kitchen Sewing Patterns
The kitchen is the most popular room in the house for many. The comforts of home are paired with food. Whether you spend more time cooking or eating, having some handy sewn kitchen items can only help. Handmade projects like these also make amazing gifts for nearly anyone in your life.
- Reusable Hanging Kitchen Towels
- Grandma's Secret Recipe Pot Holders
- Easy Peasy Potholders
- Coffee Table Quilt
- Leafy Table Runner Pattern
- Adjustable Kitchen Apron
- Mother's Day Recipe Oven Mitt Tutorial
- Hanging Dishtowels
- Easy Patchwork Aprons
- Scrappy Quilted DIY Placemats
- Made for Grandma Pot Holders
- Adult Bib Apron
- One Hour Free Apron Pattern
- Retro Christmas Dishcloths
- Owl-Hotpads "Henry and Hobbes"
- One Night Flower Tablecloth
- Fiesta Pot Holder Pattern
- Darth Vader-Inspired Apron Pattern
Sewing Room & Home Sewing Patterns
Well...maybe we take back the kitchen being the most popular room in the house. For sewists, it's often the sewing room. This section features the most creative projects to make for organizing your sewing room (or any room in the house). And that's not all - you will also find a few other sewing patterns, tutorials, and projects for anywhere in the home, from bedrooms to living rooms.
- Portable Sewing Station
- Quilt Squares Sewing Machine Cover
- The Scrap Bucket Basket
- How to Use Sewing Patterns (Digital & Traditional)
- Sewing Caddy
- Scrapbusting Fabric Organizer
- The Easiest Braided Rag Rug
- Ten Minute Organizer
- One Hour Baby Blanket Pattern
- Adorable Scrap Fabric Basket Organizers
- Petal Pillow
- 15 Minute Baby Blanket Pattern
- Mesa Mini Quilt
- Easy Peasy Fat Quarter Quilt
- Fat Quarter Fabric Basket
- Scrappy Fabric Baskets
- Serene Log Cabin Baby Blanket
- Non-Slip Foot Pedal Pad
- Gathered Round Basket
- DIY Ottoman Slipcover
- Spirit of Christmas Fabric Wreath Tutorial
Accessories & Unique Sewing Patterns
We're sorry to say that our list is nearing the end. But you certainly don't want to miss this last section full of accessories and truly unexpected projects. There are a few odds and ends here, like scarves and similar wearables, DIY gifts to make for loved ones, and creative on-the-go patterns you will want to make ASAP.
- Patchwork Vintage Coin Purse Pattern
- Spa Day Comfort Pack
- 5 Minute DIY Bookmark
- 15 Minute Mouse Pad Wrist Rest
- Retro Relaxation Aromatherapy Pillows
- 5 Minute Tissue Holder
- Portable Hanging Cup Holder
- Simply Cozy DIY Blanket Scarf
- Simple DIY Phone Wallet
- How to Make a Lanyard
- The Easiest Pocket Pack Tissue Holder Ever
- Friendly Little Mice Sewing Pattern
- Zippered DIY Coin Purse
- Ruffly Scarf Sewing Pattern
- Denim Flower DIY Necklace
Top 25 Sewing Blogs of the Year >>
What's your favorite project this year?
Let us know in the comments below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Felt Heart Garland
- Easy Cosmetics Bag Pattern
- Logs Caddy
- Heart Shaped Pot Holders
- How To Choose Fabric For Sewing Clothing
- Tips To Sew Sweater Knit
- How To Sew An Invisible Zipper In A Pillow
- Easy Wrap Dress Free Sewing Pattern
- Giraffe And Friends Easy Baby Quilt From A Jelly Roll
- A Quick Guide To Snap Fasteners For Clothing Or Bags
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies
- 11 Sewing Room Ideas: How To Organize Your Room
- 15 Sewing Patterns for Women's Dresses & Other Pretty Project
- 25 Sewing Crafts from Bloggers
- 9 Insanely Awesome Sewing Ideas: How to Sew a Pillow, DIY Home Decor, and More
- Designer Inspired Sewing: 9 Beautiful Designer Inspired Knock Off Patterns
- Fabulous Fabric Flower Tutorials: 7 Ways to Learn How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Sewing for Baby: 11 Small Sewing Projects for Your Little One
- Sewing For Beginners
- Simple Sewing Projects: 16 Easy Sewing Projects for Beginners